University of Padova, Italy
About Prof. Claudio MODENA
Prof. Claudio Modena is Full Professor of Structural Engineering at the University of Padova. Degree in Civil Engineering, magna cum laude, at the University of Padova in 1970. He obtained in 1971 a three-year scholarship by the Ministry of Research and in 1974 won the competition for the assistant chair of Construction Technology of the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Padua. In 1988 he became Associate Professor and in 1994 Full Professor of Construction Technology. Holder of the courses of "Construction Technology" and "Theory and Design of Bridges" at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Padova; he also held the courses of "Constructions in Seismic Areas" at the University Institute of Architecture in Venice (course for the Degree in Architecture) and "Structural Problems of Monuments and Historic Buildings", at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Padova. Member of the Graduate School in "Study and Conservation of Archaeological and Architectural Heritage" at the University of Padova. Director of Tests on Building Materials Laboratory annexed to the Department of Structural and Transportation Engineering at the University of Padova.
He is author of over 500 publications, and the main fields of interest regarding cultural heritage are about theoretical/experimental techniques and procedures (test methods, monitoring) for the structural evaluation of historic constructions, the development and mechanical characterization of materials and techniques (both traditional and innovative) for repairing/strengthening existing constructions, procedures for the assessment and mitigation of the seismic vulnerability of existing masonry structures. Prof. Modena maintained a balance between academic and practical experience, combining with mutual benefit both research work and technical consulting. Most of his consulting activity is in the field of restoration and conservation of historic masonry structures.
He has a several years experience of research work within the frameworks programs of the EU as responsible of UNIPD Research Unit. He has participated and has been responsible for University of Padova Research Unit in several research projects founded and co-founded by the Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR, ex MURST), by the National Research Council (CNR) and by the National Group for Earthquake Defense (CNR-GNDT).
He is member of several technical and scientific committees:
- Member since 1998, past co-chairman and actually honorary member of the ISCARSAH (International Scientific Committee for the Analysis and Restoration of Structures of Architectural Heritage) of ICOMOS, actively cooperating in the preparation and dissemination of the "Recommendations for the Analysis, Conservation and Structural Restoration of the Architectural heritage".
- Expert for UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE Sites, in particular during a mission at KIZHI Church (Carelia), for the re-construction of the BAM Citadel (IRAN) and, in the context of and European Funded Research Project (EU-INDIA), for the analysis and monitoring of the KUTUB Minar in Dehli.
- RILEM - International Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems and Structures: member of several Committees from the early eighties related to historic constructions (test methods, intervention techniques).
- CIB - International Council for Building Research and Documentation: member of the CIB W23 Wall Structures Committee, and Chairman of the Committee in the period 1991-1996.
- CEN (European Normalization Body) TC 346 - Conservation of Cultural property: member of the Committee, responsible for a WG dealing with the analysis of building structures.
- ECTP-FACH : European Construction Technology Platform-Focus Area Cultural Heritage: member and co-founder, of ECTP-FACH, and co-coordinator of a WG on Intervention techniques; he is also member of the national mirror organization (PTIC).
- CNR-GNDT National Group for Earthquake Defense: member of Experimentation Work Group and Vulnerability Working Group;
- Italian Cultural Heritage Ministry: member of the Protection of Cultural Heritage from Seismic Hazard Committee and Standardization Committee for structures and NDT (NORMAL);
- UNI - Italian Normalization Institute: coordinator of the sub-committee for masonry;
- currently member of the High Risks Committee-Seismic Risk Sector of the National Civil Protection Agency and of the special committee established by the Ministry of Infrastructures and Public Works for re-drafting the national codes system related to structural safety of both new and existing structures.
About University of Padova, Italy
The University of Padova is one of the most ancient in Europe. Juridical, theological, philosophical and medical studies were fostered in the mediaeval town before the ground was prepared for the official birth of a permanent university, which took place on September 29th, 1222. The University of Padova is a state university, as are most universities in Italy. There are almost 63.000 students on a total population of about 300.000 inhabitants. There is no campus system. At present the University of Padova consists of thirteen schools: Agriculture, Economics, Education, Engineering, Humanities, Law, Medicine and Surgery, Pharmacy, Political Sciences, Psychology, Sciences, Statistics and Veterinary Medicine. Our relations with other academic institutions and research centres all over the world, from America to China and Australia, are extremely active through exchanges of students, teachers, information and publications.
The Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering (DICEA) has a section involved since many years on experimental and theoretical research topics related to the structural conservation of cultural heritage buildings. It has a large experience on research topics related to the structural repair/strengthening of historic buildings, including laboratory testing and in-situ non-destructive tests, experimental and theoretical analyses of their structural response under static and dynamic (seismic) actions, static and dynamic monitoring of structural behaviour and dynamic identification of buildings and monuments. Reliable analytical procedures for the evaluation of the seismic vulnerability of masonry structures and for the creation of seismic risk maps are under development.