SA 6: Restoration and Conservation of Materials
Topics studied under SA6:
· Introduction to conservation and restoration of materials.
· Historical materials: identification, types and classification.
· Binders and mortars.
· Degradation of historic materials: physical, chemical and biological actions.
· Degradation of historic materials: disasters and anthropogenic actions.
· Salts in stone and masonry.
· Cleaning of façades.
· Repair materials and techniques.
· Consolidation of degraded brick and masonries.
· Consolidation of degraded mortar and plaster and interaction with fixed artistic heritage.
· Protective and coating layers.
· Restoration and conservation of wood.
· Deterioration and conservation of metals.
· Deterioration and conservation of 20th century heritage concrete and modern materials.
· Technical excursion.
· Laboratory works and in-situ investigations.